Friday, October 31, 2008

Can we ever do enough?



Our relationship started 13 years ago. We picked her up from a dog pound. She was a deserted puppy pick up by one of the committee member of PAWS. We wanted a dog for our boy as Christmas present. We adopted her into our life. She has been part of the family since then. She was our friend, guard and companion.

Loopsy has finally given her last breath. It is both a sense of relief and sadness. Relief, because she need not suffer arthritic pains anymore. Sadden because of the many years of relationships. She is one of the best dog one can have obedient and faithful. As we lay her to her final rest, a sense of regret plagued my heart. Have I done my best for her?

The last few years there were quite a lot of changes in the family. Each episode of these changes affected her in some ways or another. She had taken all these in silently. The last change episode was the toughest one.

With my eldest son leaving to serve in Singapore, we have to force her to live alone. We visit her regularly to feed, clean and groom her consistently but humanly we forgot sometimes. Spending time with her was even more difficult as we are all kept busy by the demands of life. Was it fair to her? Have we done enough for her? Or can we ever do enough for anyone? These questions pricked my heart in my last goodbye. Sigh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can so understand your loss. I was pretty devastated when my Rusty died after being with us for about 12 years. I refused to have any other pets because Rusty was family and in my eyes it was not about replacing him. Too melodramatic, but that is me. I am sure Loopsy knew the family loved her lots even when you humanly forgot. Thanks for sharing!

The Trampled Rose said...

Reading what you wrote about Loopsy brought back some sad memories of my one and only dog, Jay-Jay, a beige terrier-spitz, given to me by brother just as I was finishing my studies at college. He was my first dog and never can I love another because Jay-Jay truly loved and protected me. He may have been small but size never deterred him to growl at anyone who came too close to me and whom he did not trust. The same questions that you asked ran through my mind at the point when Jay-Jay was dying. Yet, my faithful friend refused to die till I came and gave him permission to leave me. After I told him it was okay to leave, patted him and said goodbye, Jay-Jay closed his eyes and within 2 minutes, he was gone. Already 14 years have passed but that memory is still real to me. I emphatize with you. Yes, thanks for sharing.