Friday, April 18, 2008

When Saint's goes home: A salutation





This week we witness to going home of a dear saint. The inevitability of the experience of death will someday knock at our doors. How we greet death is a deep theological reality. On the human aspect death of a person bring a feelings sorrow to people of endearment. On the Spiritual aspect, when a life is well lived, death is a celebration of a lived hope. To be absent from this body is to be home with the Lord. This is a very simple way of putting it. There are more deeper theological implications. I am not writing a theological essay here. I will keep it this way.

Mr. Lee Chee Kai was one of the early convert to Christianity during the era under the ministry of Carrie P. Anderson, one of the early missionary whose work later was deem to be the first Assemblies of God Church in Malaysia. He has lived well his years, leaving behind many spiritual legacies that had impacted his children and grandchildren. These were the hero's that had labored for the future generation of the Church.

His faithfulness to God and his Church is a testimonial of his walk with God. He has served as leader in the Church for many years and to witness his Children and grandchild faithfully serving in the Church speaks volumes. I can say this of him because I have the privilege of having his grandson as one of my student in ministerial training.

When I received the news of his demised, I call his grandson. I remembers saying this to his grandson, "He has well lived his years. Definitely we are sad of the fact that some dear to us has passed on. However we should celebrate his going home, going home to be with the Lord is a good thing".

So it is not how long we live but rather it is how well we lived that matters. We all all have a journey to travel. Stories and legacies to the crafted in the memoirs of time. How the story continues and how it end is left to us to pen it with our lives.

Slippery slopes there will be. Shattered moments is a common shared lot. Moments of victories are not lacking. The secret is that we must brave them all. Stay faithful. Persevere on. Be faithful to the end.

Lee Chee Kai has been such a man. He was saved and grew up in the First Assembly of God Kuala Lumpur. He remained as a faithful member all his life. More importantly he walk faithfully in God.

Many of us don't enjoy history, but little do we realize that everyday we are writing our own history. We are history makers whether we are conscious about it or not. The only difference is whether we write good, not so good or bad history. As for Lee Chee Kai, he has written his last chapter and made his conclusion. For me he has written and have concluded well.

I pray that I will be able to emulate him in his faithful journey with God. I have some years to go. My deepest prayer is that I may leave a rich spiritual legacy and not just worldly wealth. What about you?


My deepest condolences to the members of the Lee Family.

4 comments:

Mike Leo said...

"He have fought a good fight, he has finished his race"

These were the words in my mind when I received the news of the demise a man whom I respect dearly since my childhood.

I believe that it is not his death that taught us the most, but his life and the legacy he leaves behind. I was very touched to see that the entire family, down to the fourth generation, are committed Christ lover. I too longed to see from Jesus' embrace once day on my demise that all my decendants are committed Christ lovers. Late brother Lee Jie Kai is not a high profile person, and yet despite that he is not a pastor, his life impacts more than some pastors do. His family is not always in smooth sailing, but rough waters did shaped the colours of his life with God.

Seeing his legacy, it reminded me as a father and a husband to start building and impacting my decendants on things that will last - not just things that will fade away or destroyed by moth.

Late bor Lee's legacy will always be an inspiration to many.

Anonymous said...

May all who come behind us find us faithful. May the footprints that we leave, lead them to believe...

This song echoes the sentiment that we all should work towards leaving a spiritual legacy to all those that the Lord brings into our life. I am always inspired by the early missionaries and church elders who worked hard so that I might find Christ as a young child. Now it's my turn and yours too...
Blessings, Sunita

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing about my grandfather. Indeed, he has fulfill his purpose of life, and fight a good fight of faith. My family was comforted by the word of encouragement from brothers and sisters. We are glad that grandpa is resting at better place at this moment. Although we are sad, we missed him, yet, our hope for the future hold us together. It is the hope of the second coming of Christ that help us to keep on moving forward. Grandpa has been a faithful believer of Christ and His second coming, and in his last lap of his race, he yearn to leave this earth and to be with the Lord.

Our family is a testimony of God's faithfulness. My grandpa is an ordinary person, with an ordinary life. However, he have gone through some real hard testing of faith throughout his entire life. When he was young, he faced the political instability - The reign of Japan and May 13 incident. I can still remember of the testimonies that he shared about how God brought him out of deadly situation during those times.

Later on, his two sons past away of cancer. So much pain came upon our family, but God comfort us with different ways.

My grandpa show us what it means to believe in Jesus. It is above our complex understanding. It is by living our life faithfully to God. It is going to cost us, but the outcome is just too good for us to give up.

It is true, that how we begin our journey of faith is important, but even more important is how we finish it strong.

My prayer for Christians out there, is that you hold strong to your faith. It is going to go through high and low time. Be prepared for it.

By the way, Sis. Lee Suit Chan (my aunt) had an excellent fight of faith as well. She is really a good example for ministers to follow. Even till today, her servant hood lay an impact in my life.

Anonymous said...

Surely an inspiring life. His brother, Lee Chee Leong will be speaking at our church on 18/5. I didn't know that Victor Lee has such a spiritual, godly ancestry & heritage! Those of my generation are mostly first-generation Christians, and this reminds me of the importance of passing on our spiritual legacy to our descendents.